Featured Crafter of the Day for June 26, 2007

Andy Krueger

Tell us about yourself.
I'm not just a co-organizer of the Craftstravaganza, I'm also a vendor! I went to school for business but I've been making art for fun my whole life. I drew an obscure webcomic called "Bob the Golfer" for about a year; before that, it was published in my high school and college newspapers. I learned Sumi-e painting in Japan. In the past I've restyled clothing, created stuffed animals, and designed t-shirts. Last winter I learned to knit and made two unmatched socks.

What will you be selling at the Craftstravaganza?
Daruma dolls. In Japan, you can buy a Daruma in various sizes and styles at temples and souvenir shops. You paint in one eye when you make a wish and paint in the second eye when your wish comes true. A Japanese Daruma is usually made with paper-mache and given a weighted bottom so that it can't tip over; they are basically the original Weebles (that "wobble, but they don't fall down"). So I created mine by repainting actual Weeble toys.

Also, this just in! My ultra-limited print run of FIVE hand-numbered comic booklets has arrived in time for the fair, so I'll have these for sale as well!

Do you sell your stuff anywhere else?
This is the big premiere for the Daruma toys. If they sell exceptionally well, I may expand into other venues, but right now I'm more concerned about running the craft fair than selling my crafts! I still hope you will visit my booth and buy a Daruma, though.

Where do you find inspiration?
Obviously, Japanese style and design is a large influence on my current project. I also like old-school tattoos, some abstract art, and big, bold, colorful graffiti pieces. Good music gets me going. I usually encounter inspiration when I'm reading, riding a bike, or drinking wine around a campfire with my friends.

What's your favorite animal?
The mighty llama.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

booya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home