Featured Crafter of the Day for May 03, 2006

Aisha Celia

Tell us about yourself.
My name is Aisha. I'm 25 years old and live in St. Paul. I was born in Ben
Lomond, California but was raised here in St. Paul. I attended Revere
Academy of Jewelry Arts in San Francisco. Most of my formal background is in
metal work, although I have dabbled in glass. I have been knitting since I
was a little kid and spinning was just a natural progression for me.



I learned to use a drop spindle at the beginning of last year, but quickly
wanted to do more. I purchased a spinning wheel and have been glued to it
ever since. Learning about different sheep breeds and natural fibers has
been awesome (I know I'm a nerd). Spinning my own yarns has opened a new
door for me.

I've begun dyeing all of my own fibers and yarns. I started with the Kool
Aid dyeing technique and have now graduated to a heat-set dye. Being able to
choose my own color palette has left me with more room for design. Recently,
I have started to put beads into my yarns. This is a collaboration of two of
my loves: beads and fiber. I have been beading since I was in grade school
and beads continue to be part of my daily life.

I'm excited to see where this spinning will take me next.

What will you be selling at the Craftstravaganza?
I will be selling my handspun yarns. These yarns are not your everyday
yarns. They are funky, fun and weird at times. I like to call them accent
yarns.

Do you sell your stuff anywhere else?
Yes, I sell my yarn through Etsy at: www.aishacelia.etsy.com

Where do you find inspiration?

I find most of my inspiration in nature and travel. To visit another part of
the country and fully submerge myself in the scenery, neighborhood, and
community is eye-opening for me. I recently went to New York City and then
shortly thereafter to Tucson and the San Francisco Bay Area. What a range of
contrasts! That is what inspires me.

What's your favorite animal?
I like dogs, but I am certainly fond of sheep.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This yarn is truly a work of art! And I think spinning wheels are sexy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home